By Teresa Brennan
Laborious Modernity: Grounds for a brand new economic climate is a daring and interesting new paintings at the exhaustion of our assets, either ordinary and human. Teresa Brennan marshalls the insights of Marx and Freud to supply a compelling and insightful research of the exhaustion pervading sleek capitalism: environmental cave in, the emerging poverty degrees and the rise in international monetary disparity. Linking the intake of environmental assets to our personal depleted psychic lifestyles, she exhibits that modernity has to be rethought if we're to discover a sustainable destiny for either the enviroment and our personal psychic existence. laborious Modernity is key interpreting for all political and social theorists, philosophers, economists, and an individual attracted to the surroundings.
Read or Download Exhausting Modernity: Grounds for a New Economy PDF
Best environmental economics books
At a time whilst constructing economies all over the world are dealing with critical environmental difficulties, this better half quantity to fiscal tools for Environmental administration provides crucial details at the functions of financial valuation to atmosphere and improvement. It attracts on a three-year collaborative attempt regarding study associations in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin the United States and the Caribbean, coordinated through the United countries atmosphere Programme (UNEP).
Towards greater Accounting for the surroundings: An Unstat-World financial institution Symposium [Paperback]
Written through a well-known specialist within the undefined, upkeep administration and Regulatory Compliance options is a special reference designed to create an expertise as to how vital a good upkeep administration method is to helping the regulatory specifications confronted via every one corporation this day. It highlights the regulatory firms and their specifications within the context of the way they impression the upkeep administration functionality inside an organization.
Supplying a accomplished research of CO2 compression, transportation strategies and issues of safety for put up combustion CO2 catch purposes for a 900 MW pulverized demanding coal-fired strength plant, this ebook assesses suggestions for reinforcing the strain of CO2 to pipeline strain values with a minimum volume of strength.
- The Dynamics Between Entrepreneurship, Environment and Education (European Research in Entrepreneurship)
- Renewable Bioresources: Scope and Modification for Non-Food Applications
- One Report: Integrated Reporting for a Sustainable Strategy
- You Can't Eat GNP: Economics As If Ecology Mattered
Extra info for Exhausting Modernity: Grounds for a New Economy
Arendt tells us that ‘aristocrat’ derives from the verb aristeuein, roughly: constantly proving oneself ‘to be the best’. Hannah Arendt, The Human Condition (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1958), p. 19. In turn, the wish to be the best is what is lost for Arendt with the loss of the public striving, the vita activa, that goes into decline with the rise of the social. Although Augustine uses paternal language minimally, and there was some sense in which he and his colleagues disregarded traditional gender distinctions.
18. Jacques Lacan, ‘Aggressivity in Psychoanalysis’ , in Écrits: A Selection, tr. Alan Sheridan (London: Tavistock, 1977), pp. 8–29, p. 13. The imitation of the original is an often implicit and sometimes explicit theme in discussions of women and technology, particularly reproductive technology. ), Reproductive Technologies: Gender, Motherhood, and Medicine (Cambridge: Polity Press, 1987). For a discussion which bears more closely on the issues discussed here, see Vandana Shiva and Ingunn Moser, Biopolitics: A Feminist and Ecological Reader on Biotechnology (London: Zed Books, 1995).
But Spinoza’s idea of ‘imagination’ is narcissistic for, because of it, individuals focus inwardly on themselves and their desires, rather than their outward striving. It is through this striving, and the knowledge they attain, that people find their freedom and their connection with God-as-Nature. In contemporary writing, the idea that there are energetic connections between beings and environment has two main exponents in the academy: Deleuze and Guattari. 22 Like Spinoza, Deleuze and Guattari do not conceive of these connections in terms that are historically modulated.